Friday, July 4, 2008

The things you don't think you'll miss

(This is cross posted from Professor Pope.)

Eleanor is stirring now, at 6:45 AM. That's sleeping late for her. I got up close to my usual time, so I had some quiet time alone in the morning. As I made my tea, I was thinking I used to make my tea even earlier, after getting her back to sleep at 5:00 AM or getting up WITH her at 5:30. Some part of me missed that.

Sarah felt the same way yesterday. We visited our friend Jeannie, who just had a baby three weeks ago. Little Ethan fell asleep in Sarah's arms. When we got home, Eleanor needed a nap, so Sarah let her fall asleep in her arms in the rocking chair and held her while she slept. That's something we've been weaning her from for months. There was a time when Eleanor would ONLY nap in our arms. That got old pretty quickly, but Ethan reminded her that it's also nice once in awhile.

You don't think you will miss getting up at 5:00 AM or being chained to the couch while the baby naps, but you do.